Sport & Physical Activity Service (SAPAS)
Sport & Physical Activity Service (SAPAS) can offer a range of services to schools, some of our offers are detailed below but if you don't see what you are looking for please contact us.
Balance Bikes (Term Time and Half Term packages available)
These bikes don't have pedals and help children and adults to learn how to balance and coordinate themselves on a bike before progressing to a pedal bike. We have three sizes which are:
- 12" Balance Bikes - for 2 to 5 year olds, perfect for nursery & reception children
- 16" Strider Bikes - for 6 to 12 year olds, perfect for children with additional needs
- 20" Strider Bikes - for 12 years old to adults, perfect for secondary school children or staff who aren't confident riding a bike.
We have a dedicated coaching team who can run sessions indoor or outdoor on these bikes. Get in touch for further details and booking.
The following courses are national courses accredited through Sports Leaders:
Play Makers - aimed at 9 to 11 year olds this course will develop learner's leadership skills from a young age.
Young Leader Award - aimed at 11 plus this will allow young people to develop their leadership skills and lead small games and activities.
Sports Leadership Level 1 to 4 - aimed at 14 plus to adulthood these courses further develop leadership skills through sport.
Sports Coach & Instructor staff are:
- Highly qualified sports coaches and instructors who are able to deliver sport and physical activity sessions supporting National Curriculum Key Stages one to four
- Qualified to a minimum Level two National Governing Body standards or higher in at least one sport and have experience of working in a variety of settings
- Can provide activities from Archery to Zumba. If we don't already have a coach or instructor that can deliver your chosen activity we will do our best to find one.
Dance Mat Hire
We have fun arcade style interactive dance mats available to hire. Everybody has seen them at the arcades and wanted to have a go, now you can! Up to 12 wireless pro dance mats can be used at a time allowing young pupils to have a 'Dance-Off' with each other, to dozens of different music tracks. The steps are prompted on the projector screen and speed and accuracy compared between players. This is the most fun ever and is very energetic!
Bridging the Gap
If you have students that are 14 plus with a disability who'd like to get involved in sport, you might be interested in the Bridging the Gap project, a project aimed at getting those with a disability or long-term condition into sport and physical activity. As part of the project you'd have access to funding in terms of equipment, venue hire, training and much more! Through this funding and our support we'd like to help you establish sustainable sporting opportunities for those that you support.
Wheels for All
The Sports and Physical Activity Service can offer Wheels For All, an inclusive cycling opportunity for everyone irrespective of ability or age. The two centres, one based at Clarence Park, and the other at the Bury Athletic track, have a wide variety of bikers from two wheelers, tricycle, four wheelers and a variety of specially adapted bikes for those who use a wheel chair or with additional needs. This provision makes cycling truly accessible to all and a great opportunity to get out in the fresh air and get some exercise. If you are interested you can make a private booking or get in touch with us to find out about our open sessions.
Additional free benefits to your school
- Access to potential funding for school; staff who wish to pursue coaching qualifications to help sustain activities in or outside school
- Mentoring for all school staff wishing to develop their knowledge and skills of sport and physical activity
- Access to volunteers to assist with sporting activities
- Regular correspondence to ensure and review progress and develop positive working relationships, including practical assessments of all coaching staff
- Information on local accredited and recommended sports clubs
- All staff have up to date DBS checks
- The promotion of physical activity in developing a healthy lifestyle
- All staff are governing body qualified and first aid trained
These are dependant on the level of service required.
Below are a few examples:
- Six weeks of extra curriculum sessions
- A full academic year of extra curriculum sessions
- One afternoon coaching
- Six weeks of afternoon coaching
- A full academic year of afternoon coaching
- Sports equipment available to hire for all ages and abilities ranging from Boccia to smash up Badminton.